Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Day A Shroud of Bleakness Fell

The answer to Berry's days of fever was revealed today. Early in the morning, as we were preparing to send Junior to IFC and then go to work, Berry came to me to show me some rashes on his neck and chin. We were wondering what they could be and he suggested maybe those were chicken pox. I didn't think much of it till a nagging premonition prompted me to relook at the rashes when we were on our way to the IFC. One hard stare at one of the rashes confirmed our worst nightmare -- CHICKEN POX!!!

Nevertheless, we sent Junior to the ifc but I told Berry to go to the doctor instead of office while I went to work. It was one of the worst moments that morning as I waited for Berry to tell me the doctor's diagnosis. My first thought was that if Junior were to catch it, I would be a totally devastated mum. It was not that I didn't have it and was worried I'd catch it. Rather, my poor baby has been sick at least once a week since the beginning of this year I couldn't bear him being inflicted with another disease - one that would be much worse than any others he'd had since he came into this world. I couldn't imagine what would follow.

But the worst nightmare did come after all. The first thing I did was to take half day off to take Junior away from the ifc lest he was already infected and could pose a threat to the other kids. For the same reason, I couldn't send Junior to my parents' place as he could well infect his cousin. I didn't have any other choice except to take Junior home but separate him from his father by quarantining his father in one of the spare rooms.

After the two boys were settled down, that was when the nightmare posed to be worse than I thought. It was reporting period for me at work. What added to it was the project that was due for pretty urgent reporting as well. I had no choice but to work from home. Knowing the difficulty of working from home and having to take care of baby at the same time (though I certainly had lots of training while at my previous job), and what more to cook for the two boys, I could only ask my parents for help to come help look after the baby with me.

What followed was many days of late late nights and early mornings just so I could catch those precious late night and wee morning hours to catch up on my work deadlines. Had to tell myself after this, I would become a super good multi-tasker. At the same time, I was worried Junior would catch the pox as well. My mind was in a turmoil.

1 comment: